Inlaks scholarships, awarded by Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation, offer financial assistance to worthy candidates for pursuing courses in any field at top American, European and UK institutions such as Imperial College, London, Royal College of Art (RCA), London, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, Cambridge Trust, Cambridge and SciencesPo, Paris. Inlaks scholarships aim to encourage young talents to broaden their vision and improve their skills so as to bring substantial change around themselves in future. Under this scholarship scheme, the selected candidates receive up to USD 100,000 of funding to pursue educational programs abroad. Generally, the scholarships are awarded during the months of May or June for the commencement of candidates’ studies in September/October. As for eligibility, the aspiring candidates must be Indian citizens and have graduated from a recognised university.
In this article, we have covered the complete details about the Inlaks scholarships. These details include rewards, important dates, eligibility, application process and more. Find the highlights of Inlaks scholarships in the table given below.
Highlights of Inlaks Scholarships
|1.||Application period||February to April|
|2.||Scholarship rewards||Up to USD 100,000|
|4.||Application process||Online application submission through the official website of Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation|
* The application period mentioned above is tentative and may change as per the discretion of scholarship provider.
Inlaks Scholarships – Key Dates
Usually, the application for Inlaks scholarship opens in the last week of February and closes in the second week of April every year. However, the timeline might change as per the discretion of the Inlaks Foundation. Let’s a look at the key dates of Inlaks scholarship for the year 2019 so as to avoid missing the deadline.
For more study abroad options, visit the study abroad portal here.
Important Dates of Inlaks Scholarships
|1.||Application Opens||25 February 2019 (12 noon onwards)|
|2.||Last date to submit the application for the scholarship||15 April 2019 (23:59 IST)|
|3.||List of shortlisted candidates||May/June|
|5.||Announcement of final result||May/June|
* The dates might change so keep a regular check on the official website of Inlaks.
Inlaks Scholarships – Rewards
Under Inlaks scholarship scheme, the deserving candidates receive a financial help of up to USD 100,000 which covers student’s tuition fee, living allowance and one-way travel cost. However, there are few conditions that the candidates must fulfill if they wish to avail the scholarship benefits. Given below are the conditions observed by the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation before granting scholarship amount to students.
- If the tuition fee and living cost exceed USD 100,000, the candidates must present evidence that they are capable of covering the balance of the costs at the time of interview.
- The scholarship does not cover courses such as Engineering, Computer Science, Business Studies, Medicine, Public Health, Fashion Design, Music and Film Animation. However, the candidates can avail the scholarship benefit for studying Engineering and Computer Science if they get enrolled in Imperial College, London.
- Furthermore, Indian studies are considered under this scholarship scheme if they have contemporary relevance. Similarly, the candidates who have applied for Western Classical singing degrees can be considered for the Inlaks scholarships.
Inlaks Scholarships – Eligibility Criteria
One of the most important eligibility conditions of Inlaks scholarships is that the candidates must be Indian citizens residing in India at the time of applying for this scholarship. Find below some more eligibility conditions required to be fulfilled by the applicants in order to avail Inlaks scholarships.
- The candidates must have obtained a good bachelor’s degree from a recognised university in India.
- The candidates having obtained their undergraduate degree from outside India can also apply for this scholarship provided they have continuously resided in India and have been working/studying for at least 2 years.
- The candidates having passed postgraduate degree from a university outside India are not eligible to apply for Inlaks scholarship.
- The applicants must have received admission in their chosen course at a top institution of US, UK or Europe. The application of the candidates whose admission is pending is not considered for the scholarship.
- Also, the candidates must not be more than 30 years of age in the year of application.
- The candidates who have started their studies abroad are not eligible for the Inlaks scholarships.
- Young candidates who are working currently can also apply for the scholarship.
Read about world’s top universities in the US to pursue higher studies : Top US Universities
Inlaks Scholarships – Application Process
A candidate who wishes to study abroad in top-notch institutions without worrying about funding of their education can apply online through the official website of Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation. Before that, the applicants must keep scanned copies of important documents with them so as to upload them when required. Now, find below the steps involved in filling the scholarship application form.
- First, the candidates need to visit the official Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation website to apply for the scholarship.
- The applicants need to take their cursor to the ‘Opportunities’ tab and click on ‘Scholarships’ displayed under it.
- Now, the applicants need to click on ‘How to Apply’ which opens a new page displaying the details of Inlaks scholarships.
- In order to access the scholarship form, the candidates need to scroll down and click on ‘Application Form’ which opens the online application page.
- Now, the applicants need to fill all the required fields such as personal information, university education, working experience, proposed programme, references and declaration.
- After making sure that every information entered in the application form is correct, the applicants can finally submit their scholarship form by clicking on the button ‘Submit’.
Inlaks Scholarships – Key Documents
Before starting the application process, the applicants must make sure that they have with them the scanned copies of all the important documents. Find below the list of these key documents that need to be submitted while filling the application form.
- Copy of Aadhar card or passport (first & last pages) as identity proof in JPEG or PDF format
- Applicant’s updated resume/CV
- Applicant’s photo in JPEG or PNG format
- Any academic achievement and extracurricular attainments in PDF format
- Offer letter from the institution/university as evidence of admission to a university or a course with full details of the institute’s financial requirements in PDF format
- Reference letters in PDF format
Inlaks Scholarships – Selection Procedure
The candidates who are awarded Inlaks scholarships are selected on the basis of merit. An independent Inlaks selection committee analyse and evaluate the applications on the basis of academic and extracurricular achievements of the applicants. The candidates who display unusual and special talent are called for an interview by the committee. Given below are a few points regarding the selection process.
- The selection is done in two stages – Preliminary and final. The candidates who clear the preliminary stage are called for the final round of interview.
- The interview usually takes place in Delhi or Mumbai in the months of May or June. So, the candidates must be available for interview in India.
- The candidates shortlisted for interview must arrange for their travel and accommodation by themselves.
Inlaks Scholarships – Terms & Conditions
Besides the information mentioned above, there are several different rules and regulations that a candidate must take into account if they wish to avail the benefits of Inlaks scholarships. Highlighted below are some these terms and conditions that the applicants need to keep in mind.
- The applicants must submit only one form because submitting more than one application form may lead to disqualification.
- Each of the files to be uploaded in the application form must not be more than 10 MB in size.
- The applicants who wish to pursue architecture, fine and applied arts and related subjects must upload their portfolio in PDF form or submit the online/website link of the portfolio. In the case of film, dance, acting and music (western classic) as the field of study, the applicants can upload through a link.
- The applicants must keep in mind that the candidates whose proposed course of study/specific project needs them to travel to India during tenure, are not considered for the award of scholarship.
- Also, the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation runs joint scholarship schemes with Imperial College, London, Royal College of Art (RCA), London, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, Cambridge Trust, Cambridge and SciencesPo, Paris. So, candidates who get admitted into these institutions need not provide evidence of covering their full tuition fee.
Besides the Inlaks scholarships mentioned in this article, the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation also offers several awards/fellowships to talented individuals in the fields of Art, theatre, music and research. Highlighted below are the brief details of these awards.
Objective & Award: Offered with the aim to help young artists enhance their creativity in formative years with financial support, the Inlaks Fine Art Award provides INR 3 Lakh to a selected candidate for a period of 1 year.
Eligibility: The applicants must have passed graduation/postgraduation recently or be in the final year of the programme at a leading Indian institute for visual arts in India. They must not be more than 30 years of age (by 31st December in the year of application). Also, if the candidates do not hold any formal degree in visual arts, they must have participated in organised art exhibitions.
Application: Completed application must be submitted through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Objective & Award: This fellowship is offered with the objective to help young vocal musicians develop their art in the formative years. The selected candidates receive an amount of INR 1.2 lakh for a period of one year and a chance to pursue additional training with an instrumentalist or a musician (vocalist), other than one’s regular guru or with artists of other performing areas.
Eligibility: The applicants must be an Indian citizen and residing in India. The candidates must be practising vocal music in Indian classical tradition. They must not be more than 30 years of age (by 31st December in the year of application).
Application: Completed application must be submitted through email at email@example.com
Objective & Award: The Inlaks Foundation offers this award in order to encourage skill enhancement in the field of theatre. A total of 2 or 3 candidates are selected for this award based on their proposal for skill enhancement programme. The candidates receive a monthly allowance of INR 10,000 for a maximum period of 1 year.
Eligibility: The applicants must have passed graduation/postgraduation from a leading Indian institute for theatre arts in India. They must not be more than 35 years of age (by 31st December in the year of application). Also, the candidates without any formal degree in theatre arts can apply if they possess a record of high-quality past achievements.
Application: Completed application must be submitted through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Objective & Award: This grant, offered by Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation, aims to assist research students to undertake short-term visits to universities abroad to consult experts, use facilities and collect material. Under this grant, the candidates get financial support for a maximum period of 3 months. The support includes airfare, maintenance expenses and fund for buying books and related materials.
Eligibility: The applicants must be in possession of either a 1st-class bachelor’s (honors) degree or a 1st-class master’s degree, preferably both. The candidates must be registered in a Ph.D. programme in the fields of Humanities and Social Sciences at a recognised Indian institution for at least 2 years but not more than 4 years. They must not be more than 35 years of age (by 31st December in the year of application).
Application: Completed application must be submitted at the address mentioned below-
86/87 Atlanta, Nariman Point, Mumbai 400 021
Also read, ‘Journalism Scholarships: All You Need to Know’ for more interesting career options.