Study In Australia
Reasons to Study in Australia
Regarded as the third most preferred study abroad destination, Australia is home to nearly 7 Lakh international students. Thanks to its exceptional quality education, multicultural society, amazing lifestyle, and hassle-free access to student support. Australia houses some of the world’s best institutions that offer 22,000+ courses for prospective students. If you are planning to pursue higher studies in Australia, here are some interesting facts about the country that you should know -
- A total of 7 Australian universities rank among the top 100 Universities in the world, as per the QS World University Ranking 2020
- Australia’s education system ranks 8th in offering the best education system to the students, as per the Universitas U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems 2019.
- According to International Student Survey Report 2018 conducted by the Department of Education, international students have reported over 90% satisfaction score basis their learning and living experience in Australia.
- The Government of Australia offers scholarships worth AUD 300 million for international students.
- International students are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during the semester and full-time during breaks while studying in Australia.
- Deloitte, Commonwealth Bank, Accenture, AECOM, Google, and Allens are among the top 100 companies hiring international students in Australia.
Average tuition fees
Average living expenses (annual)
Student visa turn-around-time
Ranking of universities
7 (out of Top 100)
Post study work visa
24 to 48 months
Part-time work hours
Indian student community (strength)
- Why study in Australia
- Courses/Universities in Australia
- Test prep for admissions in Australia
- Admission applications in Australia
- Student Visa in Australia
- Funding (loans and scholarships) in Australia
- Student life & job prospects in Australia
- Why study in Australia
- Courses/Universities in Australia
- Test prep for admissions in Australia
Study InAustralia - Explore UG Courses
Study InAustralia - Explore PG Courses
More About Study In Australia
Here are a few reasons why a student should consider Australia as their study abroad destination:
Australia’s education system is one of the best in the world. It is globally recognised because of its high standards of education, highly qualified educators and modern approach towards teaching. Several Australian universities feature in the QS World University Rankings. Australia graduates are known for innovation such as Wi-Fi, penicillin, cochlear implant, the black box recorder and many more. Find below a list of top Australian universities where international students can pursue higher education.
List of top universities to study in Australia
|University Name||Australia Rank||Global Ranked|
|Australian National University (ANU)||1||29|
|University of Melbourne||2||38|
|University of Sydney||3||42|
|University of New South Wales (UNSW)||4||43|
|University of Queensland (UQ)||5||47|
|University of Western Australia (UWA)||7||86|
|University of Adelaide||8||106|
|University of Technology, Sydney (UTS)||9||140|
|University of Newcastle||10||207|
What attracts thousands of international students to study in Australia is their emphasis on research-based and interactive curriculum which helps students to understand concepts as well as practical implementation. The students are also offered the opportunity to pursue interdisciplinary courses as per their choice. Though Australia offers 22,000 courses across 1100 institutions and disciplines, given below is the list of top courses offered in Australian universities.
List of top 5 courses to study in Australia
|Popular course||Top Australian University offering the course||QS world ranking of university (subject-wise)|
|Arts & Humanities||Australian National University (ANU)||16|
|Engineering & Technology||University of New South Wales, Sydney (UNSW)||38|
|Life Sciences & Medicine||University of Melbourne||21|
|Natural Sciences||Australian National University||33|
|Social Sciences & Management||University of Melbourne||20|
Studying in Australia gives a student an opportunity to be a part of its strong economy. Industries like construction, engineering & technology, healthcare, education and others are contributing to the rapid growth of the Australian economy. International students who have graduated from a recognised Australian university can apply for a post-study work visa which allows them to live in the country for a few years and acquire employment in Australia to gain significant work experience.
Below is a snapshot of an overview of the Post Study Work Visa in Australia.
Post Study Work Visa Australia – Types of Temporary Graduate Visa
|S.No.||Visa Type||Key Features|
|1||Graduate Workstream under Subclass 485||
|2||Post-Study Workstream under Subclass 485||
Cost of living in Australia:
As compared to the US and UK, the cost of living in Australia is considerably low. However, before embarking on the journey of studying abroad, international students should take stock of the cost of living in a foreign land. They must calculate the expenses to be incurred by them while studying abroad so that they could plan their budget with efficiency. The cost of living includes housing rent or hostel fees, food, travel, phone calls, internet, clothing, and other miscellaneous expenses. Given below is the average estimate of monthly expenses that international students should look out for while studying in Australia.
Average Monthly Expenses in Australia for Students
|S.No.||Particular||Estimated expenditure (in AUD)|
|2||Groceries and eating out||AUD 140 to AUD 280 per week|
|3||Gas, electricity||AUD 10 to AUD 20 per week|
|4||Phone & internet||AUD 15 to AUD 30 per week|
|5||Public transport||AUD 30 to AUD 60 per week|
|6||Car (after purchase)||AUD 150 to AUD 260 per week|
|7||Entertainment||AUD 80 to AUD 150 per week|
Opportunities while studying in Australia:
International students get the opportunity to work in Australia on a part-time basis while continuing their studies. This not only helps them earn some money to alleviate some of their expenses incurred while studying in Australia but also helps them develop interpersonal skills, improve communication skills and learn time management. Moreover, students holding visa under subclass 500 can work for up to 40 hours every fortnight during the academic session. To ensure working while studying in Australia, a student must pursue a minimum 2-year degree course from an Australian University.
Australian Student Visa:
Indian students who intend to study in Australia need to obtain a Subclass 500 student visa that allows them to stay for up to 5 years in Australia in line with their enrolment. This visa also allows international students to work for up to 40 hours in a fortnight while studying. To apply for this student visa, the students need to fulfill the following eligibility conditions –
- They must be enrolled full-time in a valid course of study.
- If the student is below 18 years of age, he/she has to make suitable welfare arrangements to stay in Australia.
- They must provide evidence of English language proficiency at the time of visa application.
- They must hold an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from a recognized Australian Health Insurance provider.
- They must also provide evidence of having sufficient money to stay in Australia. The students can submit either of the following to prove their financial capability –
- Proof of having sufficient funds to cover the travel costs and 12 months of living and tuition fees
- Proof that student’s spouse/parents are willing to support his/her education and they have an income of at least AUD 60,000 per annum (for a single student) or at least AUD 70,000 per annum (for students who are accompanied by a family member)
- Secondary stage students need to provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students form
- A letter of support issued by the Department of Defence or Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- They must also meet the character and health requirements.
College application deadlines:
Students wishing to pursue higher education from Australia must have knowledge about the college application deadlines of Australian universities. The students who are well-informed about the admission dates have ample time to prepare for the admission process of universities/colleges in Australia. Given below is a snapshot of admission dates of the top universities in Australia.
Application timelines of top universities in Australia
|Semester 1 Application timeline|
|Round||Application last date||Round's last date||Last date for accepting the offer|
|1||12th September||30th September||30th October|
|2||11th November||28th November||30th December|
|3||15th December||15th January 2020||31st January 2020|
|*Places are available in all ANU programs in Round 1. Places in Round 2 and 3 are subject to availability|
How to apply for colleges in Australia:
The whole process of getting admission at a college in Australia takes almost a year’s time. So, international candidates should start planning ahead to avoid missing out on the opportunity to get into their desired course and college. Highlighted below is the step-wise plan for international students who wish to get admitted into Australian universities.
Step 1: To begin with, the students need to be sure where they want to study in Australia. They must decide on the university and course they want to study. To get extensive information about the universities, courses offered, tuition fees, admission intakes and funding opportunities, visit /courses/australia/. At Buddy4Study, you will get every relevant information related to studies abroad. We have an expert team of counsellors to assist you at every step.
Step 2: After you have finalized the university and the course, our counselling team will help you in applying and securing admission to the university of your choice. It is advisable to check each and every entry requirement prior to applying in order to avoid any inconvenience at a later stage.
Step 3: Once the student gets successful in acquiring an admission offer, he/she has to confirm his/her enrolment as specified. Thereafter, the students can proceed with the Visa application process. Our counselling team will assist you in preparing the Visa application. It is important to keep all visa related documents intact like academic credentials, English language proficiency proof, evidence of funds to support the study, passport, and other relevant documents to avoid any hassle during the application.
Step 4: Once the student visa gets approved, the students can further look for funding opportunities, insurance cover and accommodation with the help of our Counselling team.
Top scholarships for international students:
To attract international students to study in Australia, several scholarships and grants are offered by the Australian government, universities and other organisations. Students can apply for these scholarships if they wish to study in Australia at a lower cost. Given below is a list of some scholarships that students can avail to study in Australia.
List of top scholarships to study in Australia
|Bond University India Excellence Scholarship||A scholarship of AUD 10,000 as tuition fee (to be paid in two (AUD 5,000) instalments over the first two semesters)|
|Australian Alumni International Scholarship, Edith Cowan University (ECU)||20% reduction in tuition fees for the duration of the applicant's course at ECU|
|UNSW Future of Change India Scholarships||Out of 16 selected students, one will receive a full tuition fee waiver for a minimum duration of the program and the remaining 15 will get AUD 10,000 per annum.|
|4||Macquarie University iRTP/iMQRES Scholarship||Tuition fee coverage, an annual stipend of USD 27,596 and other benefits|
|5||University of Adelaide Global Academic Excellence International Scholarship||Waiver of 50% on annual tuition fee|
|6||ANU HDR Fee Merit Scholarship||Tuition fee waiver and overseas healthcare cover|
|7||University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships||General allowance, 100% fee remission and other benefits|
|8||BMYG Postgraduate Scholarship, Monash University||USD 6,000 for one year|
- Study Abroad Popular Courses In Australia
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), University of Queensland
- Master of Business Administration, University of Canberra
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), Univrsity of Queensland
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Australian National University
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine, Monash University
- Study Abroad Popular Universities In Australia
- University of Canberra, Canberra
- Australian National University, Canberra
- Deakin University, Victoria
- Charles Darwin University (CDU), Victoria
- University of Western Australia, Western Australia
- Popular Scholarships in Australia
- Sydney Scholars India Scholarship Program 2023
- View More >>
Can’t wait to apply for admission to top universities in Australia ?
Want to know more about studies in Australia?
Click here to download your free student guide to study in Australia.
- Top universities in Australia
- Top courses to study in Australia
- Student Visa process and guidelines
- Admission application tips
- How to find Part-time Job in Australia?