PTE Exam – PTE Academic as in the Pearson Test of English Academic evaluates the English proficiency of candidates who wish to study abroad or immigrate or acquire a job in a foreign country. Conducted by Pearson Inc., PTE exam is a computer-based test that allots 3 hours of time for candidates to finish the test. The score of PTE exam is generally declared within 5 business days and is accepted by several universities, colleges and governments around the world. Also, the candidates can schedule this test 24 hours in advance.
In this article, we have covered the important details of PTE Academic that candidates need to know if they wish to assess their English ability. The details include the exam overview, eligibility conditions, PTE exam format, PTE result and more. Highlighted below is the overview of the Pearson Test of English.
Learn Professional English and Upgrade Your Career! Get Exclusive 20% Discount – CLICK HERE
PTE Exam – Overview of PTE
|1.||Eligibility criteria||Anyone of age 16 years and above|
|2.||Test date||Round the year|
|3.||Exam format||The exam format consists of 20 different questions which test Speaking & writing skills (77 – 93 minutes), Reading skills (32 – 41 minutes) and Listening skills (45 – 57 minutes)|
|4.||Registration||Register online through the official website of Pearson PTE Academic|
|5.||Test fee||Standard fee of PTE test – INR 13,300|
|6.||Result||Announcement of PTE result within 5 business days and the PTE score ranges between 10 to 90|
PTE Exam – Eligibility Conditions
It is a language assessment exam which allows candidates of 16 years and above to test their English skills. The Pearson Test of English score is used by students and migrants to prove their proficiency in English for academic admissions into international universities/colleges, employment or visa purposes.
PTE Exam – Test Date
The PTE exam is conducted round the year. So, the candidates who wish to take the PTE exam can schedule their test even 24 hours in advance. The PTE test is conducted at least 6 to 8 times a month throughout the year.
PTE Exam – Exam Format
PTE exam format has been formulated to assess the speaking, writing, listening and reading skills of candidates in the English language. The PTE exam consists of three main parts – Speaking & Writing, Reading and Listening, which the candidates need to complete in 3 hours with an optional 10 minutes break between the reading and listening parts. Different questions are asked in the PTE exam ranging from multiple-choice, essay writing to interpreting information. Given below is the detailed PTE exam pattern.
Exam Pattern of PTE
|Sections||Time Allotted||Test Pattern|
|Speaking & Writing||77 – 93 minutes||This section includes the following parts:
|Reading||32 – 41 minutes||This section includes the following question patterns:
|Listening||45 – 57 minutes||This section includes the following question patterns:
PTE Exam – Format for Speaking & Writing
This section tests a candidate’s spoken English as well as the English writing skills in an academic environment. The candidates need to use correct grammar and spellings while writing their responses to the given questions. This part of the PTE Academic test is divided into several small segments as mentioned in the above table. The candidates are given 77 to 93 minutes of time to complete the Speaking & Writing section.
PTE Exam – Format for Reading
This section assesses the reading skills of the candidates with a set of different questions such as multiple-choice, re-order paragraphs and fill in the blanks. The reading segment of the Pearson Test of English is 32 to 41 minutes long and evaluates the candidate’s understanding of written information in the English language. The candidates are advised to read the questions carefully and answer accordingly.
PTE Exam – Format for Listening
Listening is the final section of the PTE test. Divided into various small parts, this segment tests the candidate’s ability to understand spoken English. The questions included in this section are based on audio or video clips played just once for the candidates taking the test. So, they need to listen to the clips very carefully and make notes as well. The audio or video clips are generally of 60-90 seconds and the candidates get 10 minutes to write their response in 50-70 words.
PTE Exam – Registration Process
In order to appear for this test, the candidates first need to register themselves on the official website of Pearson PTE Academic. The PTE registration is fairly simple and easy. Find below the steps required to be followed by the applicants to register themselves on the website.
- First, the applicants need to visit the home page and click on the ‘Book Now’ button which opens a new page.
- Now, the candidates should click on the ‘Create Account’ and enter all the required details to fill the form.
- The applicants receive an email within 2 days that contains their login details.
- The applicants need to sign in using the username & password and schedule their test by selecting the preferred test centre and available test date & time.
- Now, the candidates need to make the required payment to book their slot for PTE test and complete their application process.
PTE Exam – Test Fees
To complete the booking of test slot for the PTE exam, the applicants need to pay INR 13,300 as the PTE test fee. However, the applicants need to pay INR 16,625 as the late booking price if the booking for the test is delayed.
PTE Exam – Results
This test is evaluated by Artificial Intelligence to avoid any bias in scoring. The candidates who appear for the PTE test receive their PTE score within 5 business days of the test. The PTE score of a candidate ranges between 10 to 90 on a granular scale. This PTE score includes the overall score of the candidate, communicative skills scores and enabling skills scores. Highlighted below are a few important points that a candidate must know regarding the PTE result.
- The candidates receive an email that lets them know that their scorecards are ready and they can access their score report by signing into their Pearson PTE Academic account. Given below are the steps to be followed to view PTE score.
Step 1: The candidate needs to sign in to their account by using their username and password.
Step 2: Then, the candidates need to click ‘View Score Reports’ link.
Step 3: A new window opens where the candidates must click on ‘View’ for the score that they wish to see.
Step 4: The score is displayed in PDF format which the candidates can download.
- The institutes where candidates are applying can only view PTE scores when the candidates send them their score via the Pearson website. However, no additional fee is charged from the candidates for sending their scores to as many organisations as they wish.
- The candidates need to understand their PTE score. The overall PTE score shows the overall performance of a candidate in the Pearson Test of English. As for communicative skills score, it is based on the test taker’s ability shown in the questions that are related to listening, reading, speaking and writing skills. The enabling skills score is based on the candidate’s performance in questions that focus on grammar, oral fluency, pronunciation, spelling, vocabulary and written discourse.
- If a candidate feels unsatisfied with his/her PTE score, he/she can retake the test. However, the candidates can book for the retest at least 5 days after their previous attempt.
- The candidates can also request for the rescore if they feel their score is not up to the mark, though they can not ask for the rescore if they have applied for a retest.
While you decide to take this test, you can also explore scholarship options to fund your education in our study abroad admission page.