Post-study work visa NZ (New Zealand) – Indian students pursuing studies abroad often wish to gain work experience in the host country after completing their education. And, New Zealand allows international students to obtain a post-study work visa for 1, 2 or 3 years provided they fulfill the conditions laid by immigration authorities of New Zealand. Post-study work visa (NZ) enables international students to work for any employer in any job. Also, the partner of the work-visa holder can apply for a work permit and his/her children can avail education free of cost as the domestic students. What is more exciting about working in New Zealand is that the country offers safe and secure heaven where every working personnel is entitled to work rights as implemented by the New Zealand government irrespective of their country of origin.
Here in this article, we will cover the details about the post-study work visa (NZ). The details will include information regarding visa rules, work rights and much more.
Highlighted below is an overview of New Zealand post-study work visa for international students.
Post-study Work Visa NZ
|1.||Visa required||Post-study work visa|
|2.||Length of stay||Depending on the applicant’s qualification, the post-study work permit is granted for 1, 2 or 3 years.|
|3.||Qualification for post-study work visa NZ||
Now that you know briefly about the requirements of post-study work visa NZ, let’s read the detailed account of the features of New Zealand post-study work visa.
Post-study Work Visa NZ – Validity Period of Work Permit
The applicants applying for a post-study work visa of New Zealand can receive a work permit for 1 to 3 years depending on the level of their qualification and where the applicant has studied. This visa allows international students to work for any employer and in almost any job.
Post-study Work Visa NZ – Eligibility Requirement
It has already been mentioned above that in order to obtain a post-study work visa NZ, an applicant must have acquired a New Zealand qualification. Find below the eligibility requirements a candidate needs to fulfill for a work visa.
- The applicants having studied in New Zealand must have obtained a qualification of Level 4 or higher as per the New Zealand Qualifications Framework.
- In case the applicant has a Level 7 or higher qualification, his/her course must have lasted 30 weeks or more to be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa.
- In case the applicant has a Level 4, 5 or 6 qualification, he/she must have completed a study course of 60 weeks or more, or he/she must have gained 2 qualifications – each of 30 weeks or more duration and the level of the last qualification should be higher than that of the first.
- If a candidate wishes to get his/her work visa extended, he/she must have completed another qualification in New Zealand and the course of study must be of 30 weeks or more duration. Also, the candidate must have pursued a bachelor’s degree or post-graduate qualification and the level of study should be higher than the one on the previous visa.
Read Cost of Living in New Zealand to gather information about the living cost in New Zealand.
Post-study Work Visa NZ – How to Apply?
The aspiring students who wish to work in New Zealand after completing their course of study in New Zealand must apply for a post-study work visa. The applicants can apply for the work visa through online submission of the application or paper submission. One thing the international students must keep in mind is that they are to apply for the visa only after successfully completing their New Zealand qualification and that too within 3 months of the expiration of student visa. Also, the students must remain on a valid visa at all times while staying in New Zealand. Highlighted below are the steps to help students apply for their post-study work permit in New Zealand.
- The applicants need to visit Immigration New Zealand and they apply via Immigration ONLINE by creating a RealMe account on it.
- After creating an account on Immigration ONLINE, the applicants need to fill all the relevant fields in the application form.
- The applicants, then, need to upload all the necessary documents and photo in support of their application.
- Now, the candidates must pay the application fee and immigration levy of NZD 495 using their debit/credit card such as Visa™, MasterCard™ or UnionPay™.
- After making the required payment for visa processing, the candidates can submit their online application form.
Note: The visa processing is, generally, completed within 33 days of time. In case, the applicant is granted the required visa, he/she is notified and is issued an eVisa.
Visit Study abroad admission page for global universities, courses and scholarships.
Post-study Work Visa NZ – Key Documents
In order to complete the visa application, the applicants need to upload some important documents while filling their visa form. Given below is the list of documents that international students need to keep ready in PDF/JPG format before starting the application process.
- Applicant’s photograph and a copy of passport: The photograph must be showing a full-front view of the applicant’s face and should be JPG format with the size of 500 KB to 3 MB. The dimension of the photo should be between 900 x 1200 pixels and 2250 x 3000 pixels.
- Evidence of good health: The applicants need to submit a chest x-ray and/or medical certificate as proof of good health.
- Proof of good character: The applicants need to submit police certificates as evidence of their good character. The police certificates to be submitted must not be more than 6 months old at the time of submitting the visa form.
- Evidence of genuine intention to work in NZ post study: The applicants must submit proof that their intentions are genuine by providing a bona fide document.
- Proof of New Zealand qualification: The applicants must provide a copy of their acceptable qualification or a letter or academic transcript from their tertiary education provider confirming they have completed their course of study.
- Evidence of work visa application: The applicants must apply for post-study work visa NZ no later than 3 months after the applicants’ student visas expire, or 6 months if applicants were granted a visa to complete a doctorate.
- Proof of sufficient funds to sustain in NZ: The applicants must provide evidence that they have a minimum of NZD 4,200 in their bank account at the time of applying for the work visa. The proof includes bank statements, credit card statements, bank drafts and travellers’ cheques.
Also, read Immigration Friendly Countries if you wish to know about other immigration-friendly countries where you can study and work for a while post study.