US Scholarships – Studying abroad in the USA is a dream for many an Indian student, and US Scholarships can help them realize this dream. Everyone knows how expensive a degree from a US university can be. Even the US citizens need access to scholarships and education loans to be able to afford an education at a reputed US university. Add to that the additional expenses incurred by an international student such as airfare, visa, boarding and lodging expenses, and so on, and it becomes implausible for anyone but the privileged few to afford an education in the US.
Thankfully, there are many scholarship programs that Indian students can benefit from and considerably lessen the financial burden of making the choice to pursue an education in the United States. These US scholarships are available at all levels of education, choice of courses, and catered to varied interest groups. Whether you’re a working professional or a high school student, you would find the scholarship of your interest in this varied list. So let’s take a look at the top US Scholarships for Indian students.
US Scholarships – Fulbright Scholarships for Indians
- The United States runs several cultural exchange programs to foster international diplomacy and cultural relations under the Fulbright Program. Several of these programs are geared towards Indian citizens as well. The following Fulbright programs are specifically for Indian citizens looking to pursue an education in the USA:
- Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships – This fellowship is for highly motivated graduates and post-graduates from India who wish to pursue their post-graduate studies in the United States. Applicants must demonstrate leadership skills and a track record of community service, along with a good command over the English language. Selected scholars receive visa support, airfare, tuition fee, living costs, and accident and sickness coverage, as part of the award for the scholarship.
- Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships – This Fulbright Fellowship, funded by the United States India Educational Foundation, is specifically for PhD Scholars from India. Selected scholars are invited to the United States for a 6 to 9-month fellowship where they carry out pre-doctoral level research at a US institution. Apart from the travel costs, the award also includes a monthly stipend for the Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Fellows.
- Fulbright-Nehru Post-Doctoral Research Fellowships – Similar to the fellowship for pre-doctoral research, this Fulbright Fellowship selects Indian PhD scholars for post-doctoral research at US institutes during the period of the fellowship. Applicants must already hold a PhD degree and demonstrate evidence of superior academic and professional achievement. Selected scholars receive J1 Visa support, round trip economy class airfare from India to the US, accident and sickness cover, monthly stipend, settling-in allowance and professional allowance.
- Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship – The Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship is meant for PhD Scholars with relevant research in the field, especially in relation to identifying resources in the US and India. The applicants must be registered for a PhD Program at an Indian institution, for doctoral research, or must have already obtained their PhD, for post-doctoral research. Under this fellowship, J-1 visa support, round-trip economy class air travel between India and the U.S., a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, a modest settling-in allowance, and a professional allowance will be provided. A dependent allowance and international travel may be provided in case of postdoctoral research grantees, and subject to availability of funds, for one accompanying eligible dependent.
- Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program – The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program selects English teachers teaching at Indian colleges for a 9-month Fellowship program in the US. The selected teachers will teach Bengali, Hindi, and Urdu at select US universities. Successful applicants must have a master’s degree in English language, English/American Literature, American Studies, Linguistics, Comparative Literature and related areas, and possess a good academic record. Selected fellows receive airfare, insurance and a monthly stipend for the duration of the fellowship.
- Hubert H Humphrey Fellowship Program – The Hubert H Humphrey Fellowship Program is a Fulbright scholarship geared towards mid-career professionals with leadership qualities and a track record in public service. It is offered by the United States- India Educational Foundation. Selected fellows receive training in prevention research, epidemiology, treatment and substance abuse policy for a period of 10 months in the USA. The fellowship covers airfare, living expenses and tuition fees for the program, among other benefits.
For more details Check out the Fullbright Program page here.
US Scholarships – For Indian Undergraduates
- Tata Scholarship-Cornell University – This is an undergraduate US Scholarship, offered by the Tata Education and Development Trust to Indian class 12 passed students who wish to pursue their undergraduate studies at Cornell University in the US. Applicants must already have received an admission offer from Cornell University. The scholarship supports financially about 20 scholars through the course of their studies at Cornell University.
- RD Sethna Loan Scholarship – Set up in memory of Mr. R.D. Sethna, an Indian Philanthropist, the R.D. Sethna Scholarship Fund offers the RD Sethna Loan Scholarship to meritorious Indian students looking to pursue technical, scientific, commercial or industrial studies in India or abroad. The loan scholarship offers an amount of INR 10000 to each selected scholar.
- The Next Gen Scholarship – Set up by PERK Consulting, the Next Gen scholarship is awarded to an international student/non-citizen studying in the United States at a high school or college. The scholarship award consists of a one-time award of USD 1000. To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Microsoft Scholarships – To encourage students to pursue studies in Computer Science and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) disciplines, the Microsoft Corporation offers scholarships to students currently enrolled at a four-year college or university in the United States, Canada, or Mexico. These scholarships are open to all international students as well, including Indian citizens. The scholarship offers partial tuition fees for one academic year and requires the applicants to maintain a GPA of 3.0 out of a possible 4.0, or 4.0 out of a possible 5.0.
- Global Student Scholarship – StudySoup, a peer-to-peer learning marketplace based in the US, offers the Global Student Scholarship to international students looking to pursue their studies at a US University. To ease their financial burden, each year the scholarship offers a one-time award of USD 1000 to one selected scholar. The scholarship is open for all undergraduate and graduate courses at any university in the United States.
- SelfScore International Student Scholarship – SelfScore, a credit finance institution for international students, offers the SelfScore International Student Scholarship exclusively for international students in the United States. Students studying in the US on an F1, J1 or M1 visa who have scored in the top 15% on a standardized US college entrance exam (SAT, ACT, GRE or GMAT), and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, or the equivalent from prior studies, are eligible for the scholarships. Each year, 12 scholarships of USD 5000 are given out, 6 for undergraduates and 6 for graduate studies.
- Western Union Foundation Global Scholarship Program – The Western Union Foundation Global Scholarship Program (WU Scholars) is a program designed to support young people across the world and their efforts to pursue a post-secondary education. To be eligible, students must be seeking an undergraduate degree in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or business/entrepreneurship at a US University and be between 18 to 26 years of age at the time of application. Selected scholars will receive USD 2500 towards their tuition and each year 100 scholars are selected under the program.
US Scholarships – For Indian Graduates
- Inlaks Scholarships – Alternatively called the Inlaks Shivadasani Foundation Scholarships, this US Scholarship is especially for Indian citizens seeking to study abroad in the US or Europe. The objective of the scholarship is to provide an opportunity to young people with phenomenal talent in any field to widen their vision abroad and improve their skills to operate in society, thus making them a future vehicle of change in their environment. Students applying for the scholarship must have secured an admission at a US university and be less than 30 years of age at the time of applying. They should also hold a good first degree from a reputed institution. This is a full US Scholarship and covers the entire tuition fees, travelling and living expenses.
- Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship – Set up by the Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation – a not-for-profit organization set up by an endowment from Mr. Narotam Sekhsaria – the scholarship is especially for Indian students looking to pursue a postgraduate degree from a reputable and prestigious institution in India or abroad. Candidates must be below 30 years of age at the time of application and be pursuing their postgraduate studies in the fields of Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities, Law, Architecture or Management. The scholarship provides financial assistance to the tune of INR 20 Lakhs to each selected scholar.
- JN Tata Endowment Fund – The JN Tata Endowment for Higher Education of Indians provides another useful resource for financing your education in a US university in the form of the JN Tata Endowment Fund. Indian students who are below the age of 45 and are willing to pursue full-time Postgraduate/Ph.D./Postdoctoral studies abroad in any field are eligible to apply. The Endowment Fund offers a scholarship loan of INR 10 Lakhs at a nominal interest rate of 2%, which can also be waived off if the student repays the loan timely.
- KC Mahindra Scholarships for Post-Graduate Studies Abroad – C. Mahindra Education Trust organizes the KC Mahindra Scholarships for Post-Graduate Studies Abroad to students in India who wish to pursue their post-graduation overseas in any field. The objective of this scholarship is to transform lives of the people of India by providing education and knowledge. The scholarship offers interest free loans of up to INR 8 lakh to the top 3 selected scholars, and up to INR 4 Lakh for the remaining scholars.
- National Overseas Scholarship – The National Overseas Scholarship is organized under the aegis of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, and caters exclusively to SC/ST students. Meritorious graduate and post graduate students from India belonging to the scheduled castes or tribes can avail the scholarship to receive financial assistance for pursuing a post graduate or Ph.D. degree in the United States.
- SN Bose Scholars Program – This is a joint initiative by the Department of Science & Technology (India), the Indo-US Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF), and WINStep Forward. The scholarship is open for Indian students who are pursuing a bachelor or master’s degree in India in any of the prescribed courses, which include Atmospheric and Earth Sciences; Chemical Sciences; Engineering Sciences; Mathematical and Computational Sciences; and Physical Sciences. As part of the scholarship, each of the selected scholars gets an opportunity to experience world-class research facilities in top U.S. institutions during a 10 to 12-week program. The award covers airfare, health insurance, as well as a stipend of USD 2000 for the selected scholars.
- Charles Legeyt Fortescue Fellowship – Named after the famed American electrical engineer, Charles Legeyt Fortescue, this fellowship is offered by the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, and is open to citizens of all nationalities with residence in the United States. The scholarship was established in 1939 and carries a stipend of up to US$24,000, awarded annually for one year of full-time graduate work in electrical engineering at an engineering school of recognized standing located in the US.
US Scholarships – For Indian MBA Aspirants
- Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship – This prestigious fellowship is offered by Reliance Industries in the name of its founder. The fellowship is solely for Indian nationals residing in India who have been admitted to the MBA program at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, one of the most reputed MBA programs in the world. Under the fellowship, 80 per cent of tuition and associated fees of the selected fellows is covered.
- Chicago Booth MBA Scholarships – The University of Chicago Booth School of Business, also known as simply Chicago Booth, is the graduate business school of the University of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois, and hosts one of the most acclaimed MBA programs in the world. The school has produced more Nobel Laureates in the Economic Sciences than any other school, and is second only to the University of Cambridge in total. The school offers many scholarship opportunities for students from all across the world. The following scholarship opportunities at Chicago Booth are specifically for Indian students:
- Akhtarali H. Tobaccowala Fellowship – Established by a Chicago Booth alumnus and business leader, Rishad Tobaccowala, in memory of his father, this fellowship is awarded to Indian students who have been admitted to the full-time MBA at Chicago Booth. The scholarships are given from interest accrued on a USD 1 million donation to the school.
- Ramakrishnan Family Scholarship – Funded by an endowment established by Guru Ramakrishnan, and Anupama Ramakrishnan, this scholarship gives preference to candidates who are Indian nationals. The scholarship is supported by a USD 3 million gift by the Ramakrishnan Family. The fund so created supports the annual tuition fees for 3 Indian students admitted to the full-time MBA program at Chicago Booth.
- Indian Trust Fellowship – This merit-based fellowship to the Full-Time MBA Program is awarded to incoming students who live and work in India at the time of admission, and are committed to advancing the interests of women in business. This award recognizes students with outstanding leadership, academic, and extracurricular achievements. There are 2 awards in total under this program, and each selected fellow is awarded USD 10000 towards the tuition of their MBA Program.
US Scholarships – For Indian Women
- AAUW International Fellowship – The American Association of University Women (AAUW), a non-profit organization that advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, and research, offers an international fellowship exclusively for women studying in the US who are non-citizens or permanent residents. The program provides support for women pursuing full-time graduate or postdoctoral study in the US. As part of the scholarship, women pursuing a master’s course or a first professional degree receive a one-time award of USD 18000, women pursuing doctoral studies receive USD 20000 and those pursuing post-doctoral studies receive USD 30000. Preference is given to women who show prior commitment to the advancement of women and girls through civic, community, or professional work.
- Asian Women in Business Scholarship – The Asian Women in Business Scholarship is aimed at encouraging and promoting exceptional Asian female students who have demonstrated scholarship, leadership, community service and/or entrepreneurship. The scholarship is open to women of Asian (including Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Pakistan, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam) ancestry, having the status of a US citizen or permanent resident. The scholarship provides a one-time award of USD 2500 to the selected scholars.
- Bat and Ball Game Women’s Sports Scholarship – The Bat and Ball Game Women’s Sports Scholarship is awarded to women who are studying for a degree in sports science, sports physiotherapy, sports management, physical and sport education, sport psychology, sports nutrition, sports rehabilitation, or any other sports related degree at a US University. The winners receive an award of USD 1000. The scholarship is open to women world over.
- Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship – Set up by the Tata Education Trust, one of India’s oldest philanthropic organizations, the Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship caters exclusively to Indian women and provides them with financial support for pursuing their higher education abroad in the US, UK, or Europe. The applicants must be admitted to a course in one of the fields of study included under the program, namely, social work, social sciences, education, gender studies, child health, public health, rural development work, communication of development. Applicants need to hold a graduate degree from a renowned institution with an excellent academic track record, and have a minimum of 2 years of work experience in the field of study.
- SWE (Society of Women Engineers) Scholarships – The Society of women engineers is committed to the cause of providing assistance to women to achieve their full potential in their careers as engineers and leaders, and to expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life while demonstrating the value of diversity. The society organizes many scholarships through private and corporate funding that seek to award women from taking up studies in the fields of engineering. The following scholarships set up by the SWE are open to international students, including Indian women:
- Ivy Parker Memorial Scholarship – An exclusive scholarship for women engineers, the Ivy Parker Memorial Scholarship aims to provide financial assistance to women studying baccalaureate or graduate programs in the US, in preparation for careers in engineering, engineering technology and computer science. Selected scholars receive an award of USD 2000.
- General Motors Foundation Graduate Scholarship – Another scholarship set up by the Society of Women Engineers, the General Motors Foundation Graduate Scholarship, too, seeks to enhance women’s participation in the field of engineering and science by incentivizing them through financial assistance. 2 awards of USD 1000 are handed out to selected scholars each year under the program. Candidates must be admitted to a program accredited by ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology).
- Microsoft Corporation Graduate Scholarships – Similar to the above two, the Microsoft Corporation Graduate Scholarships are also awarded to women who wish to pursue a course in engineering. 10 awards of USD 1000 each are given out under this program.
- Lillian Moller Gilbreth Scholarship – Named after the famed American industrial engineer, the Lillian Moller Gilbreth Scholarship awards USD 5000 to a deserving candidate who has been admitted to study engineering at a US university.
- Chevron Scholarships – Awarded to women engineering students studying in the US, the scholarship offers 2 annual awards of USD 2000 each to deserving scholars.
- Anne Maureen Whitney Barrow Memorial Scholarship – Open to citizens of all countries studying in the US, the scholarship awards one scholar each year with a prize of USD 5000.
Top US Scholarships and Fellowships are listed in the given below
|S.No.||Name of the Scholarship||Graduation||Post-Graduation|
|1||Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships||No||Yes|
|2||Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships||No||No|
|3||Fulbright-Nehru Post-Doctoral Research Fellowships||No||No|
|4||Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship||No||No|
|5||Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program||No||No|
|6||Hubert H Humphrey Fellowship Program||No||No|
|8||Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship||No||Yes|
|9||KC Mahindra Scholarships for Post-Graduate Studies Abroad||No||Yes|
|10||SelfScore International Student Scholarship||Yes||Yes|
|11||JN Tata Endowment Fund||No||Yes|
|12||National Overseas Scholarship||No||Yes|
|13||Tata Scholarship-Cornell University||Yes||No|
|14||RD Sethna Loan Scholarship||Yes||Yes|
|15||The Next Gen Scholarship||Yes||No|
|17||Western Union Foundation Global Scholarship Program||Yes||No|
|18||SN Bose Scholars Program||No||No|
|19||Global Student Scholarship||Yes||Yes|
|20||Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship||No||Yes|
|21||Charles Legeyt Fortescue Fellowship||No||Yes|
|22||Akhtarali H. Tobaccowala Fellowship||No||Yes|
|23||Ramakrishnan Family Scholarship||No||Yes|
|24||Indian Trust Fellowship||No||Yes|
|25||AAUW International Fellowship||Yes||Yes|
|26||Asian Women in Business Scholarship||Yes||No|
|27||Bat and Ball Game Women’s Sports Scholarship||Yes||Yes|
|28||Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship||No||Yes|
|29||Ivy Parker Memorial Scholarship||Yes||Yes|
|30||General Motors Foundation Graduate Scholarship||No||Yes|
|31||Microsoft Corporation Graduate Scholarships||No||Yes|
|32||Lillian Moller Gilbreth Scholarship||Yes||Yes|
|34||Anne Maureen Whitney Barrow Memorial Scholarship||Yes||Yes|