College Application Deadlines UK – Do you have plans to go to the UK for either undergraduate or postgraduate studies? The first thing you need to have is an action plan and get ready before the admission deadline. The UK enjoys a proud tradition of education with universities rooting back to the 12th and 13th centuries. It is known for its language, history, culture and innovation and the UK has an average student retention rate of 82%. With a comprehensive support system in place for international students, studying in UK is definitely a life-changing experience.
Why study in UK? The UK is considered by many international students as one of the best study abroad destinations.
Major reasons of studying in the UK are:
- The UK has got internationally recognised universities and the degree obtained from the UK is globally recognised.
- It has got a quality education. The standard of teaching and research at UK universities and colleges is routinely assessed by official organisations to ensure that set benchmarks are met.
- UK education system promotes close interaction between students and lecturers and provides the freedom to combine different subjects into a single course.
- The universities have got strong research infrastructure, and scholarships can be obtained to study at the top universities of UK.
- Ample job opportunities are available after completing the course of study in UK.
- International students can receive great health benefits while enrolled in UK universities.
College application deadlines are a key factor in the application process at any UK university. This guide will help students get acquainted with the appropriate deadlines in the UK universities, where and how to look for courses and check their admission timelines.
College application deadlines UK – How to choose a UK university?
- Majority of courses are available on UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) site. The students can use the filter option to choose an appropriate course, college and other options to apply for college admission.
- Students should look for the course structure they are interested to apply for, whether the course includes exams, essays, group work, etc.
- Students should visit open days or study fairs where they can interact with universities from around the world. They can get guidance related to courses, scholarships, etc., and start networking with important admission people from the universities they are aspiring to study at.
College application deadlines UK – Top 5 UK universities
List of Top 5 Universities in UK – World Rankings
|UK Rank 2019||WUR Rank 2019||University||City/Town|
|1||1||University of Oxford||Oxford|
|2||2||University of Cambridge||Cambridge|
|3||9||Imperial College London||London|
|5||26||London School of Economics and Political Science||London|
College application deadlines UK – University of Oxford
Oxford is recognised as one of the best educational institutions in the world and competition to study here at UG/PG/PhD level is intense. On average, the university receives over 20,000 applications for approximately 3,250 places each year.
Image source: Oxford Website
Students are advised to apply by the deadline of 15 October and they should follow the steps below to apply for a course at Oxford:
- Students should choose a course for which they meet the eligibility requirements.
- Students should start exploring course options before the deadline and they can also opt for open application on UCAS platform.
- They must make a note on the admission timeline and they can find guidebook at the university website at every stage of application to get any kind of information support.
Students should start preparing their UG application from June of the current year and they can start submitting their applications from early September of the current year. The last date to apply is 15 October of the current year. Students should be well prepared with the application documents such as SOP, academic references, take relevant tests (English language test and SAT, etc). As shown in the image below, the selected applicants will be interviewed in the first week of December. The final decisions made by the admission committee is made in January next year. Students should check the admission requirements for the individual course before applying.
Source: University of Oxford Admissions
For UG courses, students can visit this link to browse various courses and apply to the one they are interested in.
For PG courses, there are two deadlines: Jan, November of the current year and March of the next year. To apply for PG courses online, students should visit the link here.
College application deadlines UK – University of Cambridge
Around 20,000 students are currently studying at the University of Cambridge, 7,500 of whom are graduate students. Of those graduate students, 50% come from overseas.
For UG courses, the students can check the latest deadlines to apply for admission in Cambridge. Generally, the deadlines fall in the months of Jan, Feb, March, May-June, August.
The students should start the application as early as possible and should not wait until the deadline. Different courses have different deadlines and students are advised to check the course and apply on time. They should arrange the relevant documents before the deadline. Mostly the deadlines fall in Oct of the current year and Jan, June of the next year.
College Application Deadlines UK – Imperial College London
Imperial College London aims to achieve enduring excellence in science, engineering, medicine and business for the benefit of society. Its ranked 9th in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2020. The most popular courses at Imperial are from the Faculties of Engineering, Medicine, Management, Natural Sciences, etc.
Aspiring candidates should check for the courses available at the university, check the course of their interest, look for the eligibility requirements, documents required for the application before applying for any UG/PG course. The application portal ‘UCAS’ for UG courses of UK universities generally opens from the month of May for the current year intake in the month of October. UCAS make applications available to the universities from September of the current year. The deadline for submitting an application to the college depends on the programme and universities students apply for. Key points to remember:
- If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge as well as Imperial, you should apply by the 15 October of the current year.
- If you are applying for at least one clinical programme, such as Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Medicine, you must apply by 15 October of the current year.
- All other applications must be submitted by 15 January of the next year.
To apply for PG courses, students can visit the link here. Most of the postgraduate courses remain open until they are full, though popular courses tend to close early, sometimes before Christmas of the current year. The overseas/EU applicants should aim to apply by no later than 30 July to ensure the application can be processed in time for the chosen year of entry.
Aspiring to pursue studies in UK? Check our study abroad UK admission page.
College Application Deadlines UK – Scholarships to study in UK
There are plenty of scholarship opportunities to pursue higher studies in UK. Check out the list of scholarships available in the given blog here – top UK scholarships for Indian students