TOEFL Registration – TOEFL or Test of English as a Foreign Language is a standardized test for non-native English speakers who want to enrol in an English-speaking university abroad. The test is recognized and accepted by more than 10,000 colleges, universities and agencies in more than 150 countries.
TOEFL is conducted all around the year at authorized test centres. In India, it is conducted 50 times every year. Its centres are located at Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, New Delhi, and Trivandrum. Applicants can choose any centre and date for the test according to their convenience. There is no limit on how many times an applicant can appear for the test. However, one cannot take the test twice in a 12-days period and the number of attempts in one year can not be more than five.
This article will provide you with brief details about TOEFL registration and its registration fee structure.
TOEFL Registration – Eligibility
Ordinarily, 10+2 level of any recognised Indian Board or University is a suitable qualification to take the TOEFL, however specific institutions may have special requirements.
TOEFL Registration – How to register for the TOEFL exam?
TOEFL registrations open 3 to 4 months before the test date and close 7 days before the test date. Early registration is helpful in reserving a seat at the desired centre. Once the applicant finalises the date and location for the test, the next step would be to select the mode of registration.
(The dates for the test near the applicant’s location can be checked here)
There are three modes of TOEFL registration
- Register Online
- Register by Phone
- Register by Mail
TOEFL Registration – Register Online
Registrations for the test can be made on the ETS TOEFL website. Follow the steps to apply:
- Once you are at the registration page, new users can click on “Create an Account”.
- Follow the step by step process. Provide “personal information, additional information, search services, username and password” and finally, “review and submit”.
- Log in with the registered username.
- Find the desired location and date for the test.
- Click on the finalised test centre and click on “Register”.
- Review ID requirements.
- Select score recipients.
- Answer background questions.
- Review the order and pay the registration fee.
TOEFL Registration – Register by Phone
Registration for the TOEFL can be made on a call as well. Click here and review the form before calling for the registration. Follow the steps to register on call:
- Go to www.ets.org/toefl/contact and select your location to find the phone number for the nearest Regional Registration Center (RRC).
- Pay the registration fee online with credit/debit card: American Express, Discover, JCB, Mastercard or VISA.
Note – Late registration by phone closes at 5 p.m. (local test centre time on the business day before the test) and has a late fee of USD 40.
TOEFL Registration – Register by Mail
Follow the steps below to apply by mail –
- Download and fill out the Registration Form (PDF). Spell your name exactly as it appears on the identification you will bring on test day.
- Choose one of the payment methods listed on the form.
- Mail your form and payment to your nearest RRC. To find the contact information for RRC, go to www.ets.org/toefl/contact and select your location.
- Forms must be received at least 4 weeks before the test date.
- If a confirmation is not received, call the location where you mailed your paperwork, at least 3 business days before your registration deadline.
- If you register by mail you will need to enter certain codes manually that are input automatically online. See Code Lists for Registering by Mail.
TOEFL Registration – ID Requirements
The applicant needs to provide a valid identification (ID) information at the time of registration. The spelling and order of the applicant’s name in the registration should match the spelling and order in the ID. The applicant also needs to bring a valid ID at the centre at the time of the test. If the applicant fails to provide a valid ID or if the details don’t match, the applicant will not be allowed to sit in the test.
The provided ID must:
- Be an original document. Photocopied documents and documents presented on a mobile phone or any other electronic device, are not acceptable.
- Be a government-issued national/state/province identity card that is issued and recognized by the Government of India.
- Be valid. Expired documents are not acceptable.
- Include applicant’s full name exactly matching the name on the ID document used to register, excluding accents or diacritical marks.
- Include a recent, recognizable photograph.
- Include the applicant’s signature (the name on the ID and the signature name must match).
Note: If any applicant fails to meet the ID requirements, he/she must contact the ETS Office of Testing Integrity (OTI) at least 7 days before the date of registration.
TOEFL Registration – How to find a suitable test centre and dates?
Selecting test centres and dates for TOEFL (iBT) is fairly simple. Once successfully logged in, click on the “register/test centres, dates” button. Now, select your location and preferred dates on which you want to appear for the test.
Click on “Find Test Centres and Dates”
The system will show all the dates and locations according to your preferences.
Select a date and click on “Show time and Register” to finalise and move to the payment section.
TOEFL – Test Fee
Applicants will have to bear the following fees, wherever applicable
|Registration||USD 180 (Fee can vary depending on the location)|
|Late registration||USD 40|
|Reinstatement of cancelled scores||USD 20|
|Additional score reports (per institution or agency)||USD 20 each|
|Speaking or Writing Section score review||USD 80|
|Speaking and Writing Section score review||USD 160|
|Returned payment||USD 20|
TOEFL – Forms of Payment
After completing the registration, selection of the dates and location, applicants can pay the test fee through one of the following methods:
- Credit/debit card – American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, China Union Pay®, Diners Club®, Mastercard® or VISA®
- PayPal® account
- Western Union® QuickPay® – for mail orders only. When you complete the form, use the following under “Pay To”:
Company Name: Educational Testing Service
City Code: TOEFLPROGRAMNJ
Note: Applicant must send the original receipt marked “Agency’s Copy” with the form. Copies or receipts marked “Customer’s Copy” will not be accepted.
Read TOEFL Preparation article to know how to prepare for the TOEFL exam.
TOEFL Registration – Cancellation of TOEFL Exam
A candidate can cancel or reschedule the exam not less than 4 days before the test. In case of cancellation, only half of the registration fee will be refunded. If the candidate wants to reschedule the test, an additional fee of USD 60 has to be paid before the rescheduled date. The cancellation/reschedule can be made either through ETS account or on call. Find the Regional Registration Center for your location and call on the phone number provided.
TOEFL Registration – How to find TOEFL Registration Number
Once a candidate completes the registration process for TOEFL (iBT), an ETS ID is generated and allotted to the candidate.
TOEFL Registration – FAQ
Q. How should my name appear on the registration?
A. Your name and the spelling of your name must match the name printed on the valid ID document you will present at the test centre. If this information does not match, you will not be permitted to test, and your test fee will not be refunded
Q. When do late fee apply?
A. Registration closes 7 days prior to the test date. A late fee of US$40 is charged for registrations received after this deadline. Late registration closes 4 days prior to your test date.
Q. What can I do with my ETS account?
A. When applicants register online, they can create an account, including a username and password. They will be able to use the account for the following things (not limited to):
- update email or mailing address
- update ID information
- view registration at “View My Orders”
- add test prep products to order
- reschedule or cancel registration
- change score report preference
- view scores
Q. What if I make a mistake entering my name or date of birth?
A. You must enter name and date of birth carefully. If you need to make a change to your name or date of birth, contact TOEFL Services by Email: email@example.com and Phone: 1-877-863-3546