Chevening Scholarship a part of an international awards scheme Chevening was initiated by the UK Government with the objective to create global leaders. Under Chevening, two types of awards Chevening Scholarship and Chevening Fellowship, are offered to candidates selected by the British embassies and High Commissions from all over the world. The candidates who get selected to receive Chevening scholarship become eligible to pursue a one-year masters degree course in any UK university. They receive tuition fees, travel and living allowance and several other benefits.
Here in this article, we have covered all the information regarding Chevening scholarship. This information includes scholarship rewards, application timeline, eligibility conditions, application procedure and more. Find a brief overview of Chevening scholarship in the table given below.
Chevening Scholarship โ Why Chevening?
- It organises exclusive programme of events and activities, enabling scholars to experience the UKs heritage and history, discuss international policy, and interact with thought leaders at a range of academic, cultural, and social events.
- It welcomes exceptional people from across the world to study, grow and thrive at some of the worlds best universities.
- Chevening scholars spend a year immersed in a stimulating environment and emerge stronger academically, professionally, and personally.
- There are 1,500 scholarships on offer globally for the 2020/2021 academic year which shows UK is committed to develop leaders of tommorrow.
Chevening Scholarship โ Overview of Chevening Scholarship
|August to November
|Tuition fees, monthly stipend, travel costs and other benefits
|Applicant must have obtained an undergraduate degree
Must have at least 2 years of work experience
|Online application through Chevening official website
* The application period mentioned above is tentative and may change as per the discretion of scholarship provider.
Chevening scholarship Application Timeline
The application period of Chevening scholarship varies from year-to-year. The application for Chevening scholarship generally opens in the month of August and the whole selection process usually takes at least eight months. Lets take a look at the key dates that you should keep looking for if you wish to avail this scholarship.
Last date for Chevening Scholarship โ 9 NOV 2019
Looking to study in the UK and want to know about admission timelines for 2019-20 session? Read โCollege admission deadlines UKโ article here.
Chevening Scholarship Timeline
|Sifting of applications against eligibility criteria
|Shortlisted applicants called for interviews by high commissions or embassies
|Early to mid-February
|March to May
|Announcement of interview results
|Commencement of study
* The timeline mentioned above is based on the dates of 2019-20 academic year. It may change in the following academic years as per the discretion of scholarship providers.
Latest Update: Chevening Scholarship 2020 Deadlines
Following Scholarship have deadlines on 9th Oct 2019
Chevening Scholarship Rewards
The candidates selected under the Chevening scholarship scheme funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations receive financial support to study a masters degree course in the UK. Find below the details of rewards offered to students on joining studies in any UK university as Chevening scholars.
- Tuition fees In case a candidate has qualified for an MBA programme, the Chevening scholarship amount is capped at GBP 18,000. If the fee is over this amount, the candidate needs to the rest of the funding by themselves.
- Travel fare The candidates get economy class travel expenses for travelling to and from their country of residence by an approved route.
- An arrival allowance
- The cost of an entry clearance (visa) application for only the candidates
- A departure allowance
- Up to GBP 75 for TB testing, where required
- A travel top-up allowance
- A monthly stipend as living allowance to cover accommodation and living expenses (stipend depends on whether the candidate is studying in London or outside of it)
CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS ORIENTATION 2018
In order to be eligible for this international scholarship, the applicants must be the citizens of a Chevening-eligible country. Find below some more points on eligibility condition of Chevening scholarship.
- Applicants must have obtained an undergraduate degree that makes them eligible for a postgraduate programme at a UK university. This UG degree must be equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK.
- The candidates must have at least two years of work experience to eligible for Chevening scholarship.
- The candidates must have applied to at least three different eligible courses of UK university and have received an unconditional offer from one of these courses.
- The applicants must meet the Chevening English language requirement as well as meet the university criteria for the English language. The candidates must have at least an overall IELTS score of 6.5 or overall PTE score of 58 or overall TOEFL iBT score of 79 or overall C1 Advanced score of 176 or minimum pass score in Trinity ISE II (B2).
Visit our study abroad UK category page here to explore in depth information which will help you prepare for pursuing study in United Kingdom.
Chevening Scholarship Application Process in 2020
A candidate who wishes to study in a UK university and avail the benefits of Chevening scholarship can apply online through the official website of Chevening. While applying for this international scholarship, the candidates are not required to pay any application fees. They only need to pay the application fee of UK universities. Now, find below the step involved in filling the application form for Chevening scholarship.
- First, the candidates need to visit the official website of Chevening to access the online application system of Chevening scholarship.
- Now, click on the Apply button that takes the applicant to another page where they need to select their country/territory and level from the dropdown buttons and click on Search.
- The applicants need to register with the Chevening website as new users.
- Now, log in using the newly created username & ID and start filling the Chevening scholarship form by answering correctly a set of online screening questionnaires.
- In the next stage of the application process, the candidates must fill in all the required details. Also, they must add their choice of courses and UK universities that they wish to attend.
- Finally, submit the application form after making sure that all the information entered in the form are correct.
Chevening Scholarship Key Information (Chevening 2020 Application)
Besides the information mentioned above, there are several other important things that an applicant must become aware of if he wants to receive the benefits of Chevening scholarship. Highlighted below are some of those information for applicants to keep in their minds.
- The applicants must make sure that the documents that need to beuploaded while filling the online application form for the scholarship are in PDF format and not larger than 5 MB. Also, the name of the files should not be more than 50 characters.
- Applications need to besubmitted in the English language only. No other language is accepted.
- While filling the form, the applicants must keep in mind that there is no automatic save function on Chevening application system and the session expires in 60 minutes. So, applicants are advised to continue saving their work so that all the progress is not lost.
- Applicants are advised to carefully select their two referees who can comment on their suitability for the Chevening scholarship. The referees should not be a relative or close friend.
- The applicants are required to select three courses for their Masters studies. Applicants are advised to choose the courses with care as they cannot change the choices once the application form is submitted. Also, the courses must be full-time of more than 9 months in duration and less than 12 months in duration, taught masters that leads to a masters degree qualification and based in the UK.
- The work experience that an applicant needs to have can be full-time employment/part-time employment/voluntary work/paid or unpaid internships. The applicants must keep in mind that the employment undertaken by them as part of their UG/PG course are not eligible.
- The candidates shortlisted for interview round are invited to attend the interview in a city where the British High Commission or Embassy is situated. Skype interviews are allowed only in case of exceptional cases.
- Before attending the interview, the applicant needs to upload their educational documents and biography on the application system. Also, the referees need to submit references by the allotted time.
Chevening also runs a range of fellowship programmes for mid-career professionals. You can find out which programmes are open on our fellowship