MBA in Canada – Canada is one of the top 5 countries to study abroad. It is home to over 92 institutions and 175 technical colleges. Business courses, especially MBA, are the most sought after course studies that international students like to pursue. Students have a number of options, in the form of reputed institutions and cities, from where they can pursue an MBA course. Students who opt for a management degree in Canada might choose to study a general MBA degree course, or a specialised degree in a subject like Finance, Consulting, Marketing etc.
MBA in Canada – Advantages to study MBA in Canada
Some of the advantages of pursuing an MBA in Canada are listed below:
- MBA courses are affordable and are internationally recognised.
- The admissions and student visa procedures are simple.
- The business programs at the Canadian institutions enhance the career opportunities and earning potential of students.
- The institutions in Canada focus majorly on the practical implementation of knowledge and help students explore all the disciplines in the business world.
- Students get an opportunity to build strong relations with fellow mates belonging to different cultural backgrounds.
MBA in Canada – Best MBA Universities in Canada
MBA universities are ranked (QS ranking) based on employability, entrepreneurship, alumni outcomes, ROI, thought leadership, and diversity. Top 10 MBA universities in Canada are listed below:
- The Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
- The Desautels Faculty of Management at McGill University, Montréal
- Ivey Business School, University of Western Ontario
- Schulich School of Business at York University, Toronto
- The Smith School of Business at Queen’s University, Ontario
- HEC Montréal
- The UBC Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia
- John Molson School of Business at Concordia University, Montréal
- Alberta School of Business, Edmonton
- The Beedie School of Business at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver
MBA in Canada – MBA Admission Procedure
The MBA aspirants can enquire about the admission procedure 15-18 months prior to the admission period. They can request application forms for MBA programme via email or downloading the online application form. Every university has its own opening and closing dates for their MBA programmes published on their website.
Step 1: First you need to access your current career status and think about future plans.
Step 2: Research about B-school options across the globe by considering the following factors curriculum, specialization, faculty, financial budget etc.
Step 3: Shortlist the best-fit B-Schools according to step 1 and step 2.
Step 4: Plan to prepare and take GMAT and English Language Test to meet the eligibility criteria for the course.
Step 5: Prepare for applications which should include required documents.
Step 6: Submit your applications
Step 7: Prepare for B-School interview sessions in case you are called for an interview after submission of your application.
MBA in Canada – Eligibility Conditions
To obtain admission in one of the Canadian institutions for pursuing a degree/diploma in business, students must fulfil the below mentioned basic eligibility criteria:
For Undergraduate Diploma/Degree holders
- Students should have completed 12 years of school.
- They should provide school documents/transcripts and relevant certificates.
- 12th-grade mathematics is mandatory.
- They must prove proficiency in the English language, i.e., obtain a good score in IELTS/TOEFL exam.
Post Graduate Degree/Diploma holders
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree obtained from a recognised institution, equivalent to a Canadian degree
- Work experience might be required in some of the universities
- Prove proficiency in the English language, i.e., obtain a decent score in IELTS/TOEFL exam
- Some of the institutions grant admission into MBA courses on the basis of GMAT score as well.
MBA in Canada – Documents required for the MBA admission
The following key documents are required to be uploaded along with the application form to be submitted online:
- Academic records and transcripts
- Standardised admission tests scores for IELTS/TOEFL
- Letter of recommendations
- Statement of purpose
- Work history
Want to study in Canada? Search for top Courses in Canada
MBA in Canada – MBA Course Fees
The main component in the total cost of study in Canada is tuition fees which vary with the universities. There are a number of universities in Canada for MBA education, out of which Rotman School of Management is the top B-School in Canada where 2-year programme costs up to CAD 120,680. The most cost-effective business school in Canada offering high-quality MBA programme is John Molson School of Business at Concordia University. The best management programme to look out for in Canada is the programme offered by HEC Montreal with a total tuition fee as low as CAD 34,000. Additionally, the programme offered by HEC Montreal is of 1-year duration and therefore, prospective students can also cut down on other costs which mostly constitute the living expenses in Canada.
The table below shows the costs, rankings and time duration for completing an MBA course in top 5 universities in Canada.
|Top B-Schools||QS Ranking||Avg. Work experience for applicants||Time Duration||
|World University Ranking||
|Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto||28||1||8 years||2 years||120,680|
|Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University||33||2||5 years||2 years||89,000|
|Ivey Business School, University of Western Ontario||214||3||5 years||1 year||92,500|
|Schulich School of Business, York Université||481||4||5 years||1 year||99,400|
|Smith School of Business, Queen’s University||239||5||5 years||1 year||93,000|
MBA in Canada – MBA job salaries in Canada
Having a Canadian MBA can lead to the biggest pay raise possible. The difference between the average salary that a student draws while studying an MBA degree and the one after completing it is important to note when they start looking for jobs. For example, students at the Schulich School of Business enter with an average salary of CAD 41,149. In their first post-MBA job, the average salary that they get is around CAD 90,000, which totals an average pay raise of CAD 48,851. For MBA salaries associated with other B-schools, you can refer here
MBA in Canada – MBA Scholarships
Top MBA scholarships which aspirants can avail to pursue their MBA in Canada:
Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
The following universities participate in this scholarship programme:
- Carleton University
- York University
- University of Windsor
- University of Waterloo
- The following universities participate in this scholarship programme:
- Rotman School of Management Scholarships
- Sauder School of Business Entrance Scholarships
- Alberta MBA Scholarships
- Ivey MBA Scholarships
Are you interested in studying abroad? Check our study abroad admission page.
MBA in Canada – FAQs
Q. Is it good to do MBA in Canada?
A. MBA from Canada is a good option as it gives you sufficient CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System) points to clear the immigration threshold and can fetch you a PR for future.
Q. How much does it cost to do MBA in Canada?
A. A regular MBA cost about CAD 27,397 (~USD 20,747) on an average. Whereas an executive MBA programs are generally the most expensive, averaging around CAD 56,328.
Q. What are the best places to purse MBA programme in Canada?
A. The best places to study MBA in Canada are:
- Mc Gill University
- Queens University
- University of Western Ontario
- University of British Columbia
- York University
- University of Toronto
- Concordia University
- University of Alberta
- HEC Montreal
Q. What are the scholarship opportunities for funding MBA studies in Canada?
A. There are several Government and Non-Government international scholarships for funding MBA studies in Canada. Some of them are
- Canada Graduate Scholarships (Masters program)
- IDRC research awards
- NSERC Postgraduate scholarships
- OAS Academic Scholarship Program
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program
Q. What are the popular countries for MBA education?
A. Some of the trending countries in MBA education abroad (apart from Canada) are: US, UK, Australia, Ireland, Singapore.