MBA in Germany – A pioneer in the field of technology and sciences, Germany has always been ahead of times compared to the rest of the world. The country features state-of-the-art infrastructure, world-class facilities, and low tuition fees, making Germany one of the most sought-after destinations for MBA in the world. The universities in Germany have two intakes in a year, i.e., during the months of January and September. However, very limited admissions take place in the January session. Students who select Germany as their preferred destination for pursuing MBA can either opt for the traditional MBA Degree which generally centres around general management or opt for a more unconventional choice and enrol for specialized MBA programmes.
In this article, you will be able to know why it’s beneficial to complete your MBA in Germany, what are the top MBA programmes and world-class universities you can study at, admission process, MBA costs, job opportunities post MBA and scholarships that can be obtained to complete an MBA without much hassle.
MBA in Germany – Why study MBA in Germany?
Main reasons to apply for MBA courses in Germany are:
- Germany is home to world-class business schools with two of its b-schools ranked in the top 100 Global MBA Rankings 2017, i.e., Manheim Business School (rank 54) and ESMT Berlin (rank 70).
- Germany offers a wide range of specializations such as Marketing, HR, Finance, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Leadership, International Marketing, Strategic Management, Global Management, International Healthcare Management, etc.
- Germany is a viable option for those who wish to pursue an MBA abroad. The tuition fee for the business schools is generally less expensive than the USA and UK.
- The business schools in Germany have internationally renowned professors and faculties. The facilities and infrastructure are excellent.
- Germany is one of the largest national economies in Europe. It has numerous multinational companies. Many German companies have global branches as well and they offer top-paying jobs to eligible candidates.
- Working experience in Germany can open up further opportunities in other countries in the EU. It also boasts an extremely healthy work-life balance. The labour laws are strong and on average, an employee can work for less than 40 hours per week.
MBA in Germany – Top Schools in Germany for MBA Education
With an increasing number of business schools in Germany offering MBA programmes taught in English, an MBA in Germany is a compelling choice. Below, we have listed some of the top business schools in Germany.
Top Schools for MBA Programmes in Germany
- ESMT Berlin
- Frankfurt School of Finance and Management
- Mannheim Business School
- WHU – Otto Beisheim Graduate School of Management
- HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management
- Hochschule Pforzheim
- TUM Technische Universität München
- Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin (HWR) – Berlin School of Economics and Law
- University of Cologne Executive School
- ESCP Europe – Berlin Campus
Let’s explore some details on the top business schools.
Mannheim Business School (MBS)
There are some 10,000 business schools worldwide. Only the very best qualify for the international MBA rankings. Mannheim Business School has firmly established itself as one of the elite schools and is among the top 80 in every single global major ranking. Its ranked No-1 in Germany and is located at the Southwest of Germany. The courses at the MBS are divided into the following:
- Full-time MBA
- Part-time MBA
- Master of Accounting and Taxation
- Masters in Management Analytics
- Bachelors, Masters and PhD Consecutive Programs
- Flexible EMBA and Executive MBA
Full-time MBA programme for young professionals is a unique MBA programme combining excellence, internationality, practical orientation and a sense of responsibility. The application is accepted until August of the current year for the programme to commence by September of the current year.
It is a private international business school founded by 25 multinational corporations. The school’s expertise focuses on the development of responsible leaders with a global focus on innovative management, analytics, and technology. It is one of the top-ranked business schools in Germany. It offers three types of degree programmes:
- Master’s in Management
- Full-time MBA
- Executive MBA (EMBA)
There are 32 faculty members in the school who belong to 18 different countries. 80% of them have a non-German background. The business school is accredited by AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS and FIBAA.
ESMT MBA is a personalized programme which starts in June every year. The MBA programme is based in Berlin, Germany, with the significant international and intercultural curriculum. MBA courses focus on innovation, technology, big data, sustainable business development, entrepreneurship, and global strategic management. The school takes general management and personal development method that admits up to 65 students from more than 30 countries. MBA programme challenges students to work in diverse teams, discover their passion and interest, and question their conventional thinking process.
MBA in Germany – Eligibility, Application, MBA Costs
In some institutes, students do not need to show prior work experience in their MBA application as asked by business schools of countries like US, Canada, etc. The key eligibility criteria for an applicant to be eligible to apply for an MBA programme in Germany are listed below.
The following eligibility criteria apply to the MBA aspirants:
- Bachelor’s degree equivalent to a German Bachelor’s degree in relevant subjects, it could be a 4-year degree or a 3-year degree with 1-year Master’s degree.
- Few universities accept a 3-year Bachelor’s degree to study MBA in Germany.
- Students will need a valid score in GMAT/GRE/IELTS/TOEFL. Students are advised to check the business school for its individual requirement.
- German universities only require a valid TOEFL score and it is possible to apply for an MBA in Germany without GMAT.
- Basic knowledge of the German Language is essential. Although most universities offer a programme for MBA in English.
- A good academic record equivalent to a minimum of 60% aggregate academic score is required by the school.
An applicant needs to submit the following key documents during the MBA application process:
- GMAT score
- English proficiency record with scores of TOEFL/IELTS depending on institute requirements
- Mark-sheet for Bachelor’s degree
- Copy of Passport
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
A brief look at the application process of the Mannheim Business School for full-time MBA programme:
- Visit the full-time MBA programme web page to apply for the programme
- Download the application pdf and fill out the form
- Fill out the form with all relevant college, academic details, work experience and attach a letter of motivation
- After the application is submitted, candidates have to wait for an interview call if they are selected.
- The programme committee will judge the application and call for personal or web-based interview to know more about the candidate and ask to complete a case study from home.
- Once the committee is satisfied with the candidate’s performance, they are called for a final interview within two weeks’ time.
- Once selected, the applicant is notified and asked to sign an offer letter from the business school.
MBA is affordable in Germany compared to other countries. Some of the public institutes provide low or free MBA education. The cost of an MBA for an Indian applicant may cost around INR 25-35 lakhs. The official website of DAAD offers the list of scholarships for international students to support their MBA education in Germany. Students can go over the DAAD site and they can find out around 55 search results for international MBA programmes across Germany. If they are eligible, they can go ahead with the application process at the respective school’s website. One of the top MBA school in Germany, Manheim Business School program, duration and cost in the given table below:
Cost of MBA in Germany – Manheim Business School
Manheim Business School Full Time MBA
Manheim Business School Part Time MBA
Multinationals and SMEs hire highly qualified MBA graduates and up to 2,50,000 jobs are created in SME sector, according to the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy. A shortage of qualified employees costs these businesses EUR 31 billion in revenue each year. Students can apply for 18-month Residence Permit to look for a job that corresponds to their area of qualification. They can take up any kind of employment to support themselves and fund their job search. Companies in sectors like Healthcare, Consulting and Logistics, Information Technology, Education and Financial will demand MBA professionals in the near future.
MBA in Germany – Scholarships
International MBA aspirants can avail scholarships to fund their course in Germany. Some of the popular scholarship programmes which they can apply for are:
- Central Sector Scheme of National Overseas Scholarship
- Financial Sumo Educational Scholarship program
- Go Clean Scholarship
- BrokerFish International Student Scholarship
- Global study awards
- Kofi Annan Business School Foundation Fellowship
- Forte Fellows Program
- ESMT Berlin Scholarship programs
- IUBH Online MBA Scholarship
Want to study in Germany? Visit our study abroad admission in Germany web page.
MBA in Germany – FAQs
Q. How much does it cost to study MBA in Germany?
Public universities do not have tuition fees except certains fees for administrative cost for masters programs. But on an average, tuition fees for Full-time MBA courses range from around €30,000 to €50,000, while for Executive MBA courses may amount to around €90,000. Specialised programs in private instituitions cost even higher than Public univeristies.
Q. How to get admission in MBA in Germany?
Students will have to check the departmental pages of the university where they wish to apply for admission. Gather all documents (like transcripts, GRE or GMAT scores in some university cases, proof of English Language and motivation letters and fill an application form by uploading all these documents and submitting it within deadline
Q. What are the popular study abroad destination for MBA studies?
Countries like Canada, UK, Australia, US and Singapore are popular MBA destination.
Q. Is MBA from Germany a good idea?
Yes, over the years there has been rise in numbe of international students in MBA programmes across Germany. Affordable tuition, world class facilities and job prospects attract these students.